The Starting Bloc Coaching Program is designed to best fit your needs. We recognize that not all Fellows need or desire the same type of coaching. To address that variance we are offering Fellows three different types of coaching to choose from.
Below is information pertinent to the coaching experience that will assist you in completing the coaching application.
What is coaching?
Coaching is a conversation to help you expand your scope of thinking and way of taking action so that you have a greater capacity for achieving bigger, more effective, and satisfying outcomes. It’s as if you have the entire spectrum of color to choose from instead of just a single hue. The three coaching types offered by the StartingBloc coaching program are:
- Life Coaching: This coaching is primarily for Fellows who are looking for a career transition or are challenged by leadership issues such as work-life balance and showing up authentically at work.
- Professional Development Coaching / Project Coaching: This coaching is for fellows who are a member of a team, an individual performer, or in first or middle level management positions.
- Leadership Coaching: This coaching is for team or organizational leaders and entrepreneurs.
What is the StartingBloc Coaching Program?
The StartingBloc coaching program is a service that provides professional coaching to you and other participants of the StartingBloc Institute. There are two versions of StartingBloc coaching.
- Pro-Bono. During the year, the StartingBloc team and participants will identify approximately 16 people from the Fellowship who have inspiring and impactful projects to receive 12 hour long sessions of pro-bono coaching (this equates to 6 months of coaching at 2 sessions per month).
- For Fee. All participants have the ability to be coached. If you are not selected for pro bono coaching, you will have the ability to purchase coaching in affordably priced sets of four sessions.
The Application and Matching Process:
- Complete an application
- Every quarter, the StartingBloc team will review applications. Four Fellows will be selected to receive pro-bono coaching, and all applicants will be notified of our decision via email.
- If you were not selected to receive pro-bono coaching, you are still potentially eligible to receive fee-based coaching. Let the StartingBloc team know i this is something you’re interested in!
- If you were selected to receive pro-bono coaching, you will meet with Renee Freedman for a one-hour Skype call. After that call, she will match you with a coach within her verified network.
- You will have an initial conversation with the proposed coach, and if you and the coach decide you are a good fit, you will begin pro-bono coaching. If it’s not a good fit, Renee will work with you to identify another coach better suited to your needs and style.
- It is the responsibility of you and your coach to set up times to meet and to track how many times you have met. The StartingBloc pro-bono package is valid for 12 1-hour sessions.
How to craft an application as awesome as you are:
- Provide Clarity – When in doubt, provide MORE information than you think is needed. Remember: The person reading your application may be meeting you for the first time.
- Employ a Growth Mindset – Coaching is, at its core, a tool for achieving personal and professional growth. In your application, make sure to include as much information as you can about the growth you would like to see in your life, work and world.
- Be thoughtful – The beauty of coaching is that it helps you approach your life and challenges holistically. The level of thoughtfulness you put into your application indicates to us that you are in the right place to get the most out of the coaching experience.
- Exhibit Self-Awareness – Sure, coaching will help you clarify your character, feelings, motives and desires, but we also want to know about the progress you have made thus far. What has worked? What hasn’t? What work have you done in pursuit of your best self?
Your coaching application will also be assessed on the strength and clarity of your vision and your demonstrated commitment to that vision. Coaches are there to walk alongside you – and they get excited to work with individuals who inspire and motivate them as well.
What are the costs for the fee-based coaching packages?
- For a set of four coaching sessions, the investment is $800.
- For a set of eight coaching sessions, the investment is $1,600.
- For a set of twelve coaching sessions, the investment is $2,400.
What are the distinctions between coaching, therapy, and consulting?
Coaching is a conversation that focuses on you: expanding your perspective, choices, and capacity for action as a whole, healthy person. The coaching experience expands how you observe the world in which you live, the work in which you engage, and the relationships in which you participate.
Therapy is a conversation focused on healing pain usually caused by something in the past, which might include trauma, abuse, or abandonment.
Consulting can be conversation or action. It is based in the ‘how to’ perspective. Consultants bring specific knowledge to either perform specific tasks or to provide information so that another person can complete the task
Are the coaches the same for each type of coaching?
The coaching pool differs for each type of coaching. There is different training and experience required for each type of coaching focus and, therefore, we only work with coaches that are masterful in their relevant expertise area.
What is the difference between hiring a coach on my own or selecting a coach through StartingBloc?
The coaches on the StartingBloc coaching team have all be evaluated to ensure that they meet the standards of professional coaching and that their style of coaching is compatible with mission oriented businesses and projects. Additionally, the coaching fee charged for StartingBloc coaching is less than these coaches normally charge and less than the market usually bears for coaching with this level of qualification. Oversight is provided to ensure satisfaction and adherence to professional ethics. For coaches with the experience and training equivalent to what is required for StartingBloc coaching without oversight or assessment, fees charged range from $200 – $1000 per session. Finally, by having oversight and Renee Freedman & Company, Inc. as support, you are able to switch coaches if the fit doesn’t feel right.
What happens in a coaching session?
Coaching is a conversation. As the person being coached, you’re responsible for bringing a topic to each coaching session. During the conversation, your coach asks you questions, provides feedback, suggests practices, and supports you in discovering new or alternative viewpoints for looking at your situation. You are asked to take specific actions or adopt new behaviors that will move you forward towards the goal you’ve set for your coaching.
Is it safe to share my personal and confidential information with my coach?
Your StartingBloc coach is bound by professional ethics and a firm commitment to us that confidentiality will be maintained to the extent it is legal. He or she will not talk about you, write about you, or tell others that they are coaching you without your express permission. Legally, coaches are responsible to notify authorities if they believe you are about to do physical harm to yourself or another person. They are also required to testify truthfully if they are subpoenaed in a court of law.
My Institute was a long time ago. May I still take advantage of the StartingBloc Coaching Program?
Yes. The StartingBloc Coaching Program is open to all Fellows.
What are the key commitments required of me in order to receive coaching?
- Keep the promises you make to your coach.
- Without exception, inform the coach at least 24 hours prior to your session, if you need to reschedule your session (consistently not doing so will cancel your coaching privileges).
- Inform the coach and StartingBloc coaching team when you need to take a break or leave the coaching engagement.
- Be on time, prepared, and present for your sessions.
- Inform the StartingBloc coaching team promptly when you are not satisfied or if you desire a different coach.
- Never ask the coach for services, favors, money, gifts, or anything outside of the coaching relationship.
- Remember that this is a professional relationship, even though it may address personal issues.
- Respond to emails and requests from your coach and the StartingBloc coaching team within 48 hours (If you will be out of communication for a period of time, please advise us in advance).
What if the coaching relationship isn’t working out?
If either you or the coach feels that the coaching match is not a good one, tell us promptly. We will make other arrangements. Please share your thoughts about what should be considered in making the next match for you.
My coach is fantastic and I want to tell the world or get him or her a gift. Is that okay?
The greatest gift you can give a coach is to tell the world via referrals and/or a testimonial. We support both of those ways of showing gratitude.
I completed my pro-bono coaching engagement and would like to continue to be coached. What do I need to do?
If you would like to continue to coach, you may purchase one of the packages.
If I decide to quit coaching before the sessions are complete, can I receive a refund?
There are no refunds – however, we are happy to continue your coaching whenever you are ready.
I completed a coaching engagement and I’m ready for another. What do I need to do?
Contact email@example.com to purchase another coaching package.
How do I purchase additional coaching sessions?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and she will send you an invoice through which you can access PayPal.
What are some typical subjects that the StartingBloc Fellows ask for coaching on?
Requests vary based upon need. These are just a few of the requests we’ve had:
- Work Life Balance
- Stress / Burnout
- Figuring Out What’s Next
- Life & Career Transitions
Professional Development Coaching
- Speaking Skills
- Making Requests and Commitments
- Team Member Roles
- Project Management
- People Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Fundraising (non-profit and for-profit)
- Business Acumen
- Networking, Public Relations, & Building Alliances
- Developing Teams and Employees
- Executive Decision Making